BSNL Dares To Step Into Naxalite Areas To Expand GSM Base, Seeks Rs. 3K Crores

by Paul Joseph on January 10, 2014 · 0 comments

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. ( BSNL ) the state run Telecom Service Provider is planning to step into the troubled Naxalite hotbeds, in order to bring mobile coverage to these volatile regions. BSNL has already approached Telecom Commission (TC) for its approval to procure over Rs 3,500 Crores of network gear from local suppliers VNL Ltd and Himachal Futuristic Communications Ltd for rolling out GSM networks in India’s Naxal infested regions, confirmed an official, “ BSNL will seek TC nod on January 7 before placing purchase orders on both vendors in the 70:30 ratio. Under the tender norms the L1 bidder would meet 70% of BSNL’s total network gear needs for the LWE project while the L2 bidder would have the option to supply the remaining 30%, provided it matches the L1 price bid ,” Officially referred to as LWE Areas , Naxalite regions which are controlled by Left Wing Extremists (LWE) are considered highly dangerous & hence Government machinery avoids venturing into such territory. However, this also means that these regions are devoid of development & the standard of living is highly skewed despite being in the Indian Territory. Does BSNL have the stability to conduct such a sensitive operation? It’s no secret that BSNL as well as its sister concern MTNL, are under heavy financial burden . There have been multiple meetings to ensure the mere survival of these two companies. Under such dire circumstances, it seems foolhardy to take up this security-sensitive LWE Project. However, BSNL has appealed TC to allocate funds from the USOF Fund . Additionally, the company has also asked the authority to not expect any profit out of the operation as, “ there is scarcely any business case ”. Ensuring a decent GSM Mobile Communications platform is indeed a responsibility that ultimately & squarely rests on the shoulders of BSNL, but should it be the only company to risks itself? Looking For A Social Media Agency?? – Contact WATConsult – India’s Leading Social Media Agency

[via WATBlog.com - Web, Advertising and Technology Blog in India]

Follow us @technologyheat – lists / @sectorheat

Follow us @technologyheat - lists / @sectorheat

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: